Federal Skilled Trades Program

Home  >>  CANADA IMMIGRATION  >>  Federal Skilled Trades Program


  • You must plan to live outside the province of Quebec (Note: The province of Quebec chooses its own skilled workers. If you plan on living in Quebec, see Quebec Skilled & Professional for more information).
  • You must meet the required levels in English or French for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing and listening).
  • You must have at least two years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within the five years before you apply.
  • You must meet all job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC), and
  • You must have an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least one year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a provincial or territorial body.

Skilled Trades currently eligible for the FSTP are organized under these major groups of the NOC:

  • Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades,
  • Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades,
  • Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production, and
  • Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators.

Currently, there are 90 occupations eligible for FSTP including Chef, Cook, Baker and many construction occupations.

The Minister of Citizenship and Immigration Canada amends the requirements of this category from time to time. Changes to the requirements reflect the changes in the Canadian labour market and in the broader economy and society. It also reflects the changing demands on the part of prospective immigrants to Canada. Hence, we advise not to delay to apply for the Canadian immigration when you are eligible, or not to delay to consult with us regarding your eligibility.

This immigration program should be applied through the Express Entry.